Happy Summer from the
New Mexico Art Therapy Association!
A message from our Board President:
Our continued hope is to create a safe, inclusive community for us to come together as art therapists and share in our community. We have been working hard to create projects to carry out or mission and to serve you, our members. Please feel free to give us your feedback and join us in our meetings to share your voices and gain support in our rich art therapy community here in New Mexico.
Katie Hall, MA, LPCC, LPAT, ATR-BC
News, Updates and Upcoming Events
• Dana Simmons and Deb Good presented in June on the Military in the Arts. – There are potential project ideas in Gallup, NM – any art therapists there or people interested in commuting there please get in touch.
• Pride and Self-Care/ NMATA Membership Meeting happened in June – these meetings are designed to support our art therapy community and rejuvenate and nourish our members.
• Next Membership Meeting: September 14th, 2pm-5pm at Debbie Good’s home – 2489 Elfego Rd NW, Albuquerque, NM
- NMATA will make an interactive Art Installation at the Inside/Out art exhibit at El Museo! – October 4th, more details to come soon
• Student Membership Drive at SWC Orientation September 18th, 4pm-6pm
NMATA‘s Social Justice Committee Upcoming Initiatives
1) Create Vision for the Planet
NMATA Social Justice Initiative: Standing in solidarity with the Earth
Location: Ft. Marcy Park
Date: Tuesday, August 20th from 6 to 8pm.
Calling counsel of art therapists and healing professionals to collaborate on efforts to contribute to the healing of the planet. This is an invitation to act and respond to the critical mass of our current climate crisis through community building and creative expression.
Facilitators of the first gathering: Karen Wennberg, LPCC, ATR-BC, LPAT and Alanna Sindlinger, ATR, LPCC
Ideas already generated for projective initiatives:
- Holding space for community struggling with climate change emotionally and mentally, to process emotional content and express using art therapy. (one time to start. If successful possibly once a month commitment).
- Cleaning up the arroyos and making recycled art out of it, inviting the community to participate.
- NMATA is a platform to access art therapists and friends of art therapy, but possibly creating a collective or side organization that is really dedicated to Community Action Art Therapy initiatives.
- Creating art with intention and purpose of raising the healing vibration for the planet. For example, Creating mandalas as a meditation for hope.
2) New Mexico’s Indigenous Communities
2019 The Art of Recovery
NMATA Social Justice Initiative: New Mexico’s Indigenous Communities
Location: New Moon Lodge, 579 White Swan Road, Ohkay Owingeh, NM 87566 505-852-2788
Date: September 19th
Call for Art Therapists to facilitate an Art-based or EcoPsych-based group for Native men suffering from addictions. This is an opportunity to bring art therapy techniques and directives to a group of people who would not likely have regular access expressive arts. New Moon Lodge is a small residential treatment facility with little funding for art supplies. NMATA will be providing a great service to one of New Mexico oldest communities. NMATA-SJC is proposing a day of art therapies and an art supply drive for New Moon Lodge. NML needs easels and any other artistic tools and mediums people are willing to give. It would be wonderful to have a goal of receiving 14 easels.
Art Therapists would not have to attend the full day, only be present for the time they have agreed to facilitate. NML will need an outline of the day and for therapists to sign confidentiality agreements. If photos are taken we will need to have clients sign consents. Christina Calderon will have those forms for both NMATA and NML residence.
Please stay tuned for more details. If you are interested in facilitating a group or donating supplies, please contact Alanna Sindlinger at firstname.lastname@example.org or Christina Calderon at email@example.com.
Become a member!!
$45 for professionals and $30 for students
Perks of joining:
1. Discounts for CEU workshops: Members pay $35 for 3 CEUs (Non-members pay $45 for CEU workshops)
2. Self-care Support Groups held quarterly. Membership meeting are FREE to members only.
3. Professional networking opportunities within our powerful state of New Mexico.
4. A chance to get involved and collaborate on some exciting projects and social justice initiatives that further the field of Art Therapy and serve the communities we care so much about.
5. All of your monetary support goes directly to NMATA for CEU Workshops, overhead, and projects for our community. Your membership fees and donations stay in the state of NM.
**********Please Note this Workshop has been Cancelled and will be rescheduled for the fall or winter. Thank you.
Light & Shadow: Photo Image in Art Therapy
3 CEU Workshop
New Mexico Art Therapy Association (NMATA) sponsors:
Light & Shadow: Photo Image in Art Therapy 3 CEU Workshop
Presented by Chelsea Call, MA, LMHC and Katie Hall, MA, ATR-BC, LPAT, LPCC
When: Saturday, August 17th, 1pm-4pm
Where: Meow Wolf: 1352 Rufina Cir, Santa Fe, NM 87507
Price: $45 for Members; $60 for non-members; $35 for all without CEUs. Price includes free day pass to Meow Wolf
Purchase Tickets here through Meow Wolf:
- Dreaming Our Wisdom Together
An Experiential Workshop 7 CEUs – $120
Friday September 13 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Saturday, September 14 10:00am – 4:30pm
Register Early! Before August 23 – $90
Do you believe in the power of the collective?
Do you want to apply it to the well-being of others?
Can we create community to empower
our individual and collective engagement
in creativity, healing, and growth?
TO REGISTER AND RESERVE YOUR PLACE:
1) Contact Katherine Paras to register:
2) To reserve your place, check must be received by August 30.
Please write and mail your check to:
Katherine Paras, LLC
903 West Alameda, #748
Santa Fe, NM 87501